Boat Excise Tax Bills are mailed in November each year,
Due in January of next year (60 days from bill date).
Mooring Renewal Applications are now online;
(available to those who have paid their Boat Excise Tax
before March 1 of current bill year).
As the principal public safety officer upon Swampscott waters, the Harbormaster enforces federal, state, and local laws as they affect the waterfront. This encompasses many facets including:
- With the assistance of the Town Treasurer/Collector and staff, manages the mooring permit system.
- Establishes mooring equipment specifications tailored to specific vessels for the purpose of assuring vessel safety while at mooring.
- Inspects mooring equipment to assure compliance to specifications.
- Places mooring equipment in the harbor to assure proper spacing between vessels while ascertaining that vessels are located where sufficient depth exists to accommodate draft and swing requirements of specific vessels.
- Patrols Town waters with an eye toward boater and bather safety.
- Performs rescues at sea from time to time as necessary.
- Maintains town boat and equipment to assure suitability for mission as an "emergency" vessel.
- With staff of Assistant Harbormasters, participates in ongoing training through the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Training Council in conjunction with the North Shore Harbormasters Association.